College & Career Center
- The goal of the office is to help students plan out their post high school education.
- To help students go to college, serve in the military, or enter the work force after they leave Shepaug.
Hartford National College Fair- April 3rd
To sign up for a field trip please email me or come see me in the Career Center.
- Career Info
- Financial Aid Resources and Scholarships
- Training, Trade Schools, Military
- Test Prep
- Resume Help
- College Essay Writing Tips
- Student must have a letter of employment from their employer stating what they will be doing on the job.
- The student must take the letter from their employer and bring it to Mrs. Murphy or Mrs. Knapp in the main office at SVS.
- Student must complete form required and working papers will be issued.
If you are interested in looking for a part time job and are not sure where to start. Please come see me in the Career Center. I can help you look for a job and help you get your working papers.
Below are some resources from the Shepaug Counseling center for students interested in pursuing their career choices. Please contact the College and Career Center at (860)868-5602 with any questions.
Financial Aid Memo
January 22, 2016
Dear Parents of seniors:
Financial Aid Memo:
1. By this time, you should have applied for your FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Shortly after completing the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR). The SAR will show your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC). Colleges use the EFC, as well as any other required documentation, to determine your financial aid package. The financial aid package usually contains loans, grants, and possibly a work study placement.
2. Remember to check the college websites for specific financial aid requirements and deadlines. Each school has its own procedures and closing date for filing financial aid documents. The college may also require that you submit the CSS Profile. Feel free to make a personal contact with a financial aid officer who will be very helpful and an excellent resource.
3. Collegeboard.org is a user friendly resource that provides valuable information to assist parents with the financial aid process. When on collegeboard.org, click on College Planning, Pay for Collegefor helpful information and comparison tools.
4. Colleges are required to offer on their websites a Net Price Calculator that enables families to accurately estimate cost of attendance. The Net Price Calculator is a tool that students can use to estimate their “net price” to attend a particular college or university. Net price is the difference between the “sticker” price (full cost) to attend a specific college, minus any grants and scholarships for which students may be eligible. Sticker price includes direct charges (tuition and fees, room and board) and indirect costs (books and supplies, transportation, and personal expenses).
5. If you feel that the aid offered does not meet your family’s needs or does not reflect the family’s financial circumstances, call or email the financial aid office to appeal their decision.
6. Local scholarships are posted on our school website https://svslibrary.region-12.org/studentsupportservices, as well as on Naviance. Applications to most of the local scholarships are available in the School Counseling Department.
Director of School Counseling
Resources to help understand FAFSA
Financial Aid Websites
Paying For College
Understanding your Financial Aid Package
Because it is a pivital part of the college search process for so many families, the Shepaug Counseling Department works hard at having up-to-date, comprehensive resources for the Financial Aid process.
In the Spring, you can find a current list of scholarships in the Counseling Office on Naviance. Simply, log into your Naviance, access the Scholarship section, and you can print applications for any of the scholarships by clicking their individual link and downloading the pdf.
SVS Scholarship Award Ceremony
Shepaug Valley proudly recognizes the seniors that are chosen as local scholarship recipients each year. Our local scholarship committees are extremely generous and play a huge role in the success of our college-bound students. Below you will find the program from the ceremony as well as photos of the awards presented.
Universal Technical Institute
Lincoln Technical Institute
Lincoln College of New England
Porter and Chester Institute
Paul Mitchell School- Danbury
Bristol Technical Education Center
New England Carpenters Training Fund
Community Culinary School of Northwest Connecticut
Academy Di Capelli
International Institute of Cosmetology
International Union of Operating Engineers Local 478
Online Resources to Help You Prepare for the SAT
- Khan Academy- Get personalized practice recommendations for the skills you'll need for the SAT, plus eight official practice exams from College Board. ... SAT Math practice. ... With Official SAT Practice, set up a personalized practice plan and take real, full-length SAT practice tests online.
- College Board's Full Practice Test- This website offers the official 2012-13 SAT practice test. Best when used in conjunction with other prep sites listed below.
- DOME SAT: Smarter Test Prep- Features SAR preparation study guides, vocabulary drills, and practice tests; subjects include math, critical reading, essay writing and vocabulary.
- I Need a Pencil- The nonprofit CK-12 Foundation offers 60 lessons, more than 800 practice exam questions, and a score projector.
- March 2 Success- This site, a collaboration of the U.S. Army and the publishers of Peterson Guides, offers seven full-length practice tests and 25 decks of flash cards.
- ProProfs: Build and Test Knowledge- Claiming to have the most comprehensive collection of free SAT study resources online, this site provides practice exams, flash cards, quizzes, and cram sheets.
- Quizlet- A wide array of subjects are offered, and there is a mobile app available. The SAT prep materials are located in the "Standardized Tests" section.
- Study Guide Zone- Focusing on improving standardized-test scores, this site covers a wide variety of standard college and professional tests. In addition to the SAT test study guide, test flash cards, and practice questions, there is a "College Tips" advice section.
Tips and Tricks to write the perfect college essay
College Board Essay Writing Tips
US News How to Write a College Essay
Princeton Review- How to Craft an Unforgettable College Essay
Essays that worked- John Hopkins University
Essays that worked- Connecticut College
Essays that worked- Tufts University